What about insurance coverage?

Last Updated: Aug 23, 2017 10:52PM EDT
Rental insurance can be added at the rental counter. The rental companies sell a number of different coverage options including:

Loss Damage Waiver (LDW) – sometimes also referred to as Collision Damage Waiver (CDW) - covers the costs of damage to the rental vehicle in the event of an accident.

Supplemental Liability Insurance (SLI) – provides coverage in the event of an accident causing bodily injury or property damage to someone other than the renter and passengers.

Personal Accident Insurance (PAI) – covers medical costs and accidental death for the renter and passengers in the event of an accident during the rental.

Personal Effects Coverage (PEC or PEP) – insures against risk of loss or damage to the personal belongings of the renter (and sometimes the members of the renter's family while traveling with the renter) during the period of the rental.

The cost and exact coverage of these options vary by company and location. On the booking site, there are links for the policies and cost for the insurance options offered at each specific rental location.

Also note that although frequently not explicitly stated, US car rental companies are required by respective state law (except in California) to provide minimal liability coverage. This covers costs to a third party in the event of an accident, albeit at very low state-minimum requirement limits.

For further information and money saving tips on car rental insurance, you can learn more in our blog .
seconds ago
a minute ago
minutes ago
an hour ago
hours ago
a day ago
days ago
Invalid characters found